DMOZ Internet Directory
Thunderstorms and Lightning
This category is for sites about thunderstorms and lightning including red sprites, blue jets, ball lightning, fulgurites, lightning pictures other lightning phenomena.
Sprites and Jets
[ Submit ]
National Lightning Safety Institute (NLSI)
- Independent advocate of lightning safety for people and structures. Includes information about their services, lighting strike incidents, safety guidelines, and a reference section of general and technical information.
Texas Severe Storms Association
- Non-profit organization founded to bring together amateur and professional severe weather scientists in an attempt to better understand dangerous storms through the collection and diffusion of knowledge.
Lightning and Atmospheric Electricity at the GHCC
- Lightning and Atmospheric Electricity at the GHCC (NASA). Learn about LIS, OTD, LMS, and other space based lightning detection instruments designed, built, and maintained by the Lightning Team.
Information Please: Lightning
- A short brief on lightning lore, statistics, and safety tips.
Lightning: The Shocking Story
- The science and the stories behind the bolts that strike our earth a hundred times every second. National Geographic report on lightning.
Lyncole Industries, Inc.
- Designs, manufactures, and installs the originally patented XIT Grounding System. Some good information here on grounding for lightning protection.
EUCLID: European Cooperation for Lightning Detection
- Information and links to lightning detection networks across Europe. View real-time maps of lightning activity in Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, Slovakia, Norway, Austria, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, and Slovenia.
Lightning Protection Institute
- The Lightning Protection Institute is a nationwide not-for-profit organization and provides information on lightning safety and lightning protection systems for commercial and residential structures.
Boltek Lightning Detectors
- Boltek StormTracker and LD-250 Lightning Detectors display lightning strikes live on a map of your area. Can detect and track thunderstorms up to 300 miles away, right from your personal computer.
Infography about Lightning
- Sources recommended by a professor who specializes in the study of lightning.
- Shows real-time lightning activity in the North Sea using a sensor located in Bergen, Norway.
Colorado Lightning Resource Center
- Resource for lightning information for the state of Colorado. Knowing more about lightning, its causes, and some basic safety rules can help you and your family avoid needless exposure to the dangers of lightning. From NOAA, a government site.
Florida Media Communications: Lightning Tracker
- Real-time lightning detector for an area within a 300 mile radius from Tampa, Florida.
- A short compendium of information about lightning.
- Real time maps of lightning strikes across the planet.
[ Submit ]
above to Add a New Site, Update a Site, or Remove a Site from this Category.
Business : Electronics and Electrical
Earth Sciences : Atmospheric Sciences : Meteorology
Atmospheric Sciences : Meteorology : Weather Phenomena
Also Available in These Languages
This directory is made available through a Creative Commons Attribution license from the