DMOZ Internet Directory
Pages or organizations which debate whether or not some or all "intellectual property" laws are unfair monopoly grants, not real private property like physical things.
Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act, ...
Digital Rights Management
DVD Encryption, Microsoft, Opposing Views, Sony
Free Access Theory
Journal Cost Issues
Audio Files, Corrupted Audio CDs
Opposing Views, Trusted Computing Group
[ Submit ]
Roundtable - 98.09
- An Atlantic Unbound roundtable on the future of intellectual property and copyright law in the digital age
Library Juice Copyright Issue
- A supplement to the weekly e-zine Library Juice from September, 2000, devoted to the political and philosophical issues of intellectual property, especially as they relate to libraries and the internet.
Information Liberation: Against Intellectual Property
- A chapter from the book Information Liberation, written by Brian Martin.
The GNU Manifesto
- The last name in software freedom...this outlines the reasons that "Gnu's Not Unix" produces free software.
The Right to Read
- Richard Stallman's famous parable about the Right to Read, and what will happen if intellectual monopoly laws continue to grow.
Intellectual Property Rights Overview
- The W3C's take on intellectual property rights in the Information Age.
A Primer On the Ethics of "Intellectual Property"
- This primer provides a general framework for freeing any information covered under copyright and patent laws.
- This group is organized to promote discussion of intellectual property laws worldwide. It is hoped that a network of interested people can come together to begin discussing a future for intellectual property law which balances the needs of people with the needs of intellectual property owners.
Free Intellectual Property Exchange (FreeIPX)
- A news and discussion site dedicated to critical analysis of the use, abuse, and relevance of IP Law. [Slash-style site]
The Mark is the Beast
- An article describing the change in the usage of trademarks, and how it stifles our use of our own language.
The Register - Sneaky Cable Crypto Scheme in the Works
- Article exposing that the cable television industry is moving to implement a copy protection scheme that will allow movie studios and cable providers to control what viewers are able to record.
- Weblog covering copyright, patent, trade mark and privacy/confidentiality issues from a mainly UK and European perspective.
Stanford Center for Internet and Society's Fair Use Project (FUP)
- Provides legal support to a range of projects designed to clarify, and extend, the boundaries of "fair use" in order to enhance creative freedom.
The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind
- Professor James Boyle's site discussing the balance between intellectual property and the public domain -- including free downloadable versions of his Yale University Press book on the subject.
- A blog about excess in Canadian and international copyright law, trademarks law and patent law. By Howard Knopf, a jurist practicing Intellectual Property law in Canada.
Did You Say "Intellectual Property"? It's a Seductive Mirage
- Supports the idea that the term carries a bias since it suggests thinking about copyright, patents and trademarks by analogy with property rights for physical objects and also that it's a catch-all to lump together disparate laws. By Richard Stallman.
The Guardian - "Intellectual Property" is a Silly Euphemism
- According to the author, owning a song or a piece of writing isn't like owning a television, and to call it anyone's "property" is seriously misleading.
Wired - The Eagle Is Grounded
- Article comparing today's toughening of US intellectual property laws to help given to the US shipping industry 30 years ago, resulting in even greater losses for US firms, higher prices, and frustrated consumers.
[ Submit ]
above to Add a New Site, Update a Site, or Remove a Site from this Category.
Society : Issues : Human Rights and Liberties
Society : Law : Legal Information
Reference : Libraries : Library and Information Science
Electronic Text Archives
Arts : Literature
Education : Educators : Academic Dishonesty
Computers : Open Source
Computer and Technology Law
Society : Law : Legal Information
Society : Issues
Also Available in These Languages
This directory is made available through a Creative Commons Attribution license from the