DMOZ Internet Directory
Human Rights and Liberties
This category is for sites about free speech
as a human right
, as well as sites documenting suppression of that right by governments, and webpages about the controversies on what legal restraints on free speech are necessary.
[ Submit ]
New Age of Falsification ?
- Nature photographers face a crisis of ethics as digital imaging makes photo fakery easier than ever. Overview in Atlantic Monthly of May, 1998.
Free Speech Movement Archives
- Documents, photos, and essays on the events of the 1964 movement in Berkeley. With updates and reunions.
Atheism and Intraorganizational Free Speech (1996)
- Michael Martin argues that atheistic organizations should generally allow their members to criticize them.
Charlton Heston and Political Correctness
- Speech to the Harvard Law School Forum February 16, 1999 on the idea that political correctness is invading our freedom of thought and speech.
Freedom of Expression - Freedom Magazine
- Perhaps the most essential right is that of communication. Without the freedom to communicate, other rights deteriorate.
Off The Hook June 2000
- Twenty-six Hundred dot com pages on challenges to their free speech on hacking computers.
AskMen.com : Freedom of Speech in Sports
- Article discusses pro baseball player John Rocker's inflammatory racist statements and his right to freedom of expression.
There Is 'No Constitutional Protected Right' of Freedom of Speech
- Argues that there is no constitutional right of freedom of speech or of press in America since a person could be defamed, sued or boycotted.
International Freedom of Expression Exchange (IFEX)
- Network of free expression groups that monitors violations worldwide. Issues alerts, publishes a weekly newsletter and hosts a searchable alerts online archive.
- Blog covering academic freedom, including free speech, freedom of the college press, and current controversies in higher education.
U.S. Broadcasters Arrested
- Reports that nine alternative media members were arrested during peaceful protests at the National Association of Broadcaster's convention in San Francisco.
Low Power to the People
- Small groups, nonprofits and individuals might get low power FM radio stations.
Rice University Spin Control
- A long Houston Press story about the administrative coup d'état that closed down 91.7 FM, KTRU Houston, a college radio station.
American Civil Liberties Union - Free Speech
- Links to issues such as censorship, campaign finance reform, commercial speech, and flag desecration.
The Freedom Forum
- A nonpartisan, international foundation advocating free press and speech rights for all people. Holds conferences, educational activities, publishing, broadcasting, online services, fellowships, partnerships, research and other programs.
[ Submit ]
above to Add a New Site, Update a Site, or Remove a Site from this Category.
Law : Constitution : Bill of Rights
In Daily Life
Society : Activism
Society : Issues
News : Alternative
Also Available in These Languages
This directory is made available through a Creative Commons Attribution license from the