DMOZ Internet Directory
Growth and Sprawl
Articles and Commentaries
[ Submit ]
Farmland Information Center
- A clearinghouse for information about farmland protection and stewardship. It is a partnership between the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service and American Farmland Trust.
Campaign to Protect Rural England
- National charity devoted to protecting and enhancing rural England. Encourages the sustainable use of land and other natural resources in town and country.
Grow Smart Rhode Island
- A statewide non-profit organization that promotes sensible alternatives to suburban sprawl and urban decay.
- Conservation and smart growth organization dedicated to protecting the region’s open spaces and ensuring cities grow in a way that creates great neighborhoods for everyone in the San Francisco Bay Area, California.
- A statewide network promoting policies that encourage redevelopment of Ohio's cities and towns and conservation of farmland and open space.
- Public-private partnership promoting quality growth with goals in air quality, transportation options, open space preservation, housing, infrastructure, and community-friendly taxation.
- One of the most comprehensive and earliest sites to target sprawl, by Al Norman, "anti-sprawl guru" and consultant. Arguments and statistics to support campaigns against sprawl developments. Reading list, news, list of towns that have defeated mega-retail proposals.
Congress for the New Urbanism
- News, information and other resources from an organization which promotes the restoration of cities and the creation of human-oriented livable communities with a sense of place.
Smart Growth Network
- The Smart Growth Network helps create national, regional and local coalitions to support intelligent and sustainable growth.
- Information and resources from an advocacy organization that wants to protect the scenic qualities of communities and roadways.
- Information and resources about alternatives to dehumanizing modern trends on social and environmental quality.
- Clearinghouse with news, information and resource links about land-use, community planning and preservation.
Moving Sustainable Development from Theory to Practice in the U.S.
- A quick-study outline of sustainable development for planners and policy-makers, with extensive web references for more in-depth information on each topic. Written by Beryl Magilavy, past director of San Francisco's Department of the Environment.
Smart Growth BC
- A non-profit society that works to limit sprawl in British Columbia. Includes case studies, examples and local news.
Sierra Club: Stopping Sprawl
- The Challenge to the Sprawl Campaign works to fight poorly planned runaway development and promotes smart growth communities.
National Town Builders Association
- Serves builders and developers in an effort to build traditional neighborhoods and town centers though smart growth principles.
Campaign for Sensible Growth
- Coalition of government, civic, and business leaders in northeastern Illinois. Presents information on the campaign, news, and resources.
The Funders' Network
- A resource for foundations, nonprofit organizations, and other partners working to solve the problems created by suburban sprawl and urban disinvestment.
Environmental Protection Agency: Smart Growth
- Includes introduction and detailed information on smart growth, plus news, publications, and policies.
Wikipedia: Urban Sprawl
- Publicly-editable encyclopedia entry supplies examples and arguments for and against sprawl.
Save Our Land, Save Our Towns Inc.
- Charitable corporation promotes changes in attitudes and policies that promote suburban sprawl.
Smart Growth America
- Nationwide coalition promoting a better way to grow; one that protects farmland and open space, revitalizes neighborhoods, keeps housing affordable, preserves scenic and historic resources, and makes communities more livable.
[ Submit ]
above to Add a New Site, Update a Site, or Remove a Site from this Category.
This directory is made available through a Creative Commons Attribution license from the