DMOZ Internet Directory
Art and Antiquities
The removal from their rightful owners or from archaeological sites of objects of artistic, historic or cultural value. This includes wartime looting of art and antiquities.
World War II
Museum Provenance Research
[ Submit ]
The Iraq War and Archaeology
- Francis Deblauwe gathers articles and information about the impact of the war on the archaeological remains in Iraq, including the losses from looting.
Art Theft - Most Wanted Art
- Search for the world's most wanted art.
Price of Age
- An electronic dissertation on the illicit trade of antiquities by Andrew Cranwell.
Looting Question Bibliography
- Hugh Jarvis lists Internet and published resources on the archaeological politics of private collecting, commercial treasure hunting, looting.
The Art Loss Register
- Operates a permanent international database of stolen and missing works of art, antiques and valuables, to assist law enforcement agencies in the battle against art theft.
NYTimes.com - Thwarting Art Thieves on a Budget
- Discusses problems of art theft during business hours and how museums and other facilities have responded.
- This Belgian initiative aims to assist the police in Belgium and elsewhere in the recovery and return of stolen antiques. Register stolen art pieces. Newsletters.
CBC Indepth: Art Thefts
- Indepth examination of some of the world's most famous artworks that have been stolen, including audio and video links to reports.
Your Brush With The Law
- Charles Vincent Sabba looks at some famous art crimes, forensic art and the art scene in New York.
Britain Leads Illicit Trade in Rare Books
- The Guardian reports that Britain has become the centre for criminal traffick in ancient manuscripts and historic books.
Gang Caught with 200,000 Artefacts
- Giles Tremlett reports in the Guardian that Spanish police have captured 100 archaeological robbers in an operation that netted a vast haul of antiques up to 5,000 years old.
Stolen Stones: The Modern Sack of Nineveh
- Looting of Iraqi archaeological sites since the Gulf War. Illustrated feature by John M. Russell in Archaeology includes clickable map of the throne room suite.
Art Theft from Cyprus to Munich
- Archaeology magazine feature article by Mark Rose on the looting of frescoes, mosaics and icons from churches in Northern Cyprus
Swiss Recover 10,000 Stolen Antiquities
- Archaeology magazine feature article by Andrew Slayman on one of the largest recoveries of stolen art treasures.
BBC: Stolen Turner Paintings Found
- Two Turner paintings from the Tate galleries' collection, stolen while on display in Germany eight years ago, are found.
[ Submit ]
above to Add a New Site, Update a Site, or Remove a Site from this Category.
Science : Social Sciences
This directory is made available through a Creative Commons Attribution license from the