DMOZ Internet Directory
Media Literacy is concerned with websites and articles and collections of scholarly material on critical thinking and viewing skills for the consumers of news, entertainment, and advertising.
[ Submit ]
Master New Media
- Know-how, resources and tools to facilitate one's ability to learn, communicate and collaborate effectively with new media technologies.
Popular Culture and American Culture Association
- The PCA and ACA are two academic organizations that focus in part on media studies as well as culture. Open to a very wide range of investigations on scholarly topics.
- The online version of the magazine: "Harper's editors sift through the culture's vast output of information, searching for gleaming points of significance, and each month present their findings via such original journalistic devices."
- Helps families, schools, and communities defend themselves against commercialism, advertising, and marketing. Campaigns focus on culture, education, government, and economy. Includes ideas for action, mailing list, news, and research library.
Center for Media Literacy
- National advocate for media literacy education. Develops and distributes books, videos, teaching materials and other programs that promote critical thinking about the media.
- A nonprofit, public interest organization dedicated to investigative reporting on the public relations industry.
- Chomsky's home page at MIT. Includes a list of his publications on topics relevant to mass media.
- Essays and media criticism intended to reveal the hidden meanings in TV, film, science fiction, theme parks, virtual realities, politics, advertising and news.
The Foucault Pages at CSUN
- A good place to start if you want to apply the thinking of Michel Foucault to any study of mass media.
Media Education Foundation
- A nonprofit organization devoted to media research and the production of resources to aid educators and others in fostering analytical media literacy.
Free Minds Online: Responsible Journalism on the Web
- On the Internet, we are all the media. Suggestions for evaluating information before you pass it on; links to valuable information sites; discussion groups.
- Research, information and materials by media literacy speaker and consultant Peter DeBenedittis, Ph.D.
Over the Rainbow
- A free online magazine dedicated to media literacy for the entire family. Works to help children and adults not perpetuate stereotypes and generalizations about people of different backgrounds. Provides tips and activities that may help children and their parents become more open-minded media consumers.
- "Seminal Influences in Modern American Advertising." An online essay on generative influences in advertising projects from creative director and copywriter Nat Whitten.
- Articles by or about Emigre, an experimental type foundry in Berkeley, CA. Emigre has had an unprecedented theoretical and real-world effect on the look of advertising around the world.
Marshall McLuhan Archive
- This official not-for-profit web site is maintained by the estate of Marshall McLuhan to ensure the integrity of his name and legacy.
- Helps advance research and education in media studies and critical thinking. The site serves as a hub providing links to international news and media studies sites.
Don't Buy It - Get Media Smart
- A media literacy Web site for young people that encourages users to think critically about media and become smart consumers. Activities on the site are designed to provide some of the skills and knowledge needed to question, analyze, interpret and evaluate media messages.
The Validity of Anti-War Criticism
- In defense of anti-war criticism by Tim Wise.
PBS Teacher Source - Media Literacy
- Features related activities, classroom resources, and professional development information.
- Contains original articles, resources, blogs, podcasts, videos, and links for educators and parents interested in increasing media literacy.
Media Literacy Clearinghouse
- Resources and workshops for K-12 educators promoting critical thinking to help students read media messages.
What Makes Mainstream Media Mainstream - Noam Chomsky
- From a talk at Z Media Institute in 1997.
- A bilingual, Canadian educational web site containing a wide range of copy-right cleared resources to help teachers integrate media literacy and web literacy into their classrooms.
Media Literacy Project
- Aims to help people become more critical consumers of media messages. Provides teaching and multimedia resources, presentations, and training nationwide.
Spark Media Project
- A non-profit art and education organization focusing on giving children and youth, parents and teachers, artists and media makers a space to use media critically and creatively.
[ Submit ]
above to Add a New Site, Update a Site, or Remove a Site from this Category.
Science : Science in Society : Skeptical Inquiry
Society : Activism
Also Available in These Languages
This directory is made available through a Creative Commons Attribution license from the