DMOZ Internet Directory
History of the American expansion westward into the land west of the Mississippi. Information on the events that took place in the American West and the people that made the Old West aka the Wild West famous.
California, Colorado, Klondike
Civil War, Forts
Cassidy, Butch, Cody, William Frederick, Doolin, Bill, ...
State of Jefferson
[ Submit ]
New Perspectives on The West
- Companion site to Ken Burns' program about the American West featuring an interactive timeline, maps, and archived primary source materials.
Meeting of Frontiers
- Tells the story of the American exploration and settlement of the West and the meeting of the Russian-American frontier in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest.
History of the American West
- Photos from 1860-1920 from the collection of the Denver Public Library, searchable index by keyword, subject or name.
Union Pacific Rail Road-History
- This is the story of the first transcontinental railroad; the greatest, most daring engineering effort the country had yet seen.The idea was to span the west with iron rails from Omaha to Sacramento.
Lone Hand Western
- Provides information on chuck-wagon lore, western music, cowboy stories, recipes and historical tidbits.
The Northern Great Plains (1880-1920)
- Photographs from Fred Hultstrand and F.A. Pazandak Photograph Collections with 900 photographs of rural and small town life at the turn of the century.
The History of the Upper Midwest
- An overview of the history of the upper Midwest including lay of the land, the Indians, the French, the British, the ordinances, the pineries and the mines.
The Depression Years (1929-1940)
- Period photos and description of the impact of the Depression on the West.
Conservation Chronology 1847-1871
- A time line showing the Nations efforts at conservation in the American West. The people and the places in pictures and biographies.
Western History Association
- Information about this association which exists to promote the study of the North American West in all its varied aspects and in its broadest sense.
Jewish Museum of the American West
- An online museum that tells how and why Jews were successful in creating the basic foundations of the American Wild West.
[ Submit ]
above to Add a New Site, Update a Site, or Remove a Site from this Category.
Arts : Literature : Genres
North America : United States : Regions
Society : People
This directory is made available through a Creative Commons Attribution license from the