DMOZ Internet Directory
The traditional beliefs, legends, customs, proverbs, riddles, music, dance, stories, and other lore of various cultures which were passed down orally from person to person through the ages.
Death and Funeral Customs
Graffiti, Jokes and Anecdotes, Poetry, ...
Building Protection, Charms and Spells, Curses
Search the below web sites:
Search the below web sites:
Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage
- Focuses on contemporary grassroots cultures. Festival information, recordings, events, and resources.
American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Created by Congress in 1976 "to preserve and present American Folklife," the Center incorporates the Archive of Folk Culture, established at the Library in 1928 as a repository for American Folk Music.
Lucky W Amulet Archive
- Encyclopedic resource describing and illustrating folkloric talismans and lucky charms from around the world, including horseshoe, swastika, four-leaf clover, rabbit foot, raccoon penis bone, hamsa hand, John the Conqueror root, scarab beetle, and black cat bone.
Archives of Folklore Discussion List
- Hosts a complete month-by-month record of all the posts made to the discussion-list, from 1990 to the present.
Paganism in British Folk Customs by Bob Trubshaw
- Article that contrasts the true remains of Pagan origins in the folk customs of England with those customs created or exaggerated through "paganisation" by Victorian romantic authors.
Visions and Beliefs in the West of Ireland
- Collected and arranged by Lady Augusta Gregory (1920), e-text from the Internet Sacred Text Archive.
Folk Beliefs in Modern Japan
- E-text of the book edited by Inoue Nobutaka, Institute for Japanese Culture and Classics, Kokugakuin University.
At the Edge: The Cosmic Mill
- Article by Alby Stone discussing the hand-mill as an image of the cosmos.
- Wolfgang Mieder's biographical sketch of the University of California Professor of Folklore Archer Taylor, and his work as a paremiologist - collector of proverbs.
- Journal of the Estonian National Museum, publishing short articles on ethnographical issues. Content in Estonian and English.
D. L. Ashliman
- Folklore researcher, providing extensive resources on Germanic myths, legends and sagas, and Indo-European folk and fairy tales.
Folklore: an Online Electronic Journal
- English-language archives of an informative Baltic Folklore journal published by the Folk Belief and Media Group of the Estonian Literary Museum. Material about Estonian shamanism, urban legends, ethnomusicology, popular calendar data, and general folk belief.
- Essays and links.
The Folklore of the Isle of Man
- Myths, legends, superstitions, customs and proverbs, by A. W. Moore (1891), e-text from a Manx Note Book.
Superstitions Around the World
- A compilation of superstitions and taboos around from variety of cultures.
Journal of Folklore Research
- A peer-reviewed publication of the Folklore Institute at Indiana University, established in 1965.
Arts : Visual Arts : Thematic
Arts : Performing Arts : Dance
Health : Alternative
Music : Styles : F
Arts : Performing Arts
Europe : United Kingdom : Society and Culture
Also Available in These Languages
This directory is made available through a Creative Commons Attribution license from the