DMOZ Internet Directory
A Finno-Ugric language spoken mainly in Finland but also by minorities in Sweden, Norway, Russia and North America.
Books and Instructional Materials
[ Submit ]
The Research Institute for the Languages of Finland
- Studies and provides advice on the usage of Finnish, Swedish, the Finno-Ugric languages, Finnish Sign Language, and Romany, the language of the Gypsies in Finland. [Finnish, English, Swedish and others]
- Finnish language technology company, offers proofreading and other software for Finnish and other Nordic languages.
Frequently Asked Questions about Finno-Ugrian Languages
- by Johanna Laakso. Is Finnish the most ancient language in the world? Where do Finnish words come from? A Finno-Ugric linguist answers these and other common questions.
Verbix - Verb Conjugator
- On-line verb conjugation service for Finnish and 50+ other languages. Includes list of 10,000 most frequent Finnish words.
The Finnish Language
- Short introduction to the Finnish language, with a well-organized page devoted to the use of cases in Finnish. Links to Finnish resources on the Internet. [By Jukka Korpela]
Employment of Foreigners Hampered by Language Barriers and Attitudes
- by Vellamo Vehkakoski. Helsingin Sanomat article describing language acquisition as an obstacle for foreigners seeking jobs in Finland.
Phonetics of Finnish
- Information on Finnish words and their phonetic structure, from the Department of Phonetics, University of Helsinki. Bilingual page (English and Finnish).
- A weblog which posts new Finnish words that the author learns.
- A free mobile phone game designed to help you learn Finnish. It features basic vocabulary, colors and numbers.
Society for the Study of Finnish
- A linguistic quarterly published by Kotikielen Seura (The Mother Tongue Society). Summaries in English.
Yahoo Groups : Finnish
- Discussion list for people studying Finnish language and culture in Finland or elsewhere.
[ Submit ]
above to Add a New Site, Update a Site, or Remove a Site from this Category.
Society and Culture
Regional : Europe : Finland
Ethnicity : Finno-Ugric : Finnic
Also Available in These Languages
This directory is made available through a Creative Commons Attribution license from the