DMOZ Internet Directory
International, National, Online Contests, ...
Monty Hall, Tower of Hanoi
Games and Puzzles
Problem of the Week
0 - Zero, e, Fibonacci Numbers, Infinity, Integers, ...
[ Submit ]
- Topics include Flexagon, Soma Cube, Pentominos, Cube-it, Rubik's Cube, Froebel's Star, Tangram, House of Santa Claus, Chronogram, Numeric Palindromes, Latticework of Letters. English/German.
- An applet for making spirograph graphs. Includes options for size, color and shape. Allows saving of completed image.
The Diamond 16 Puzzle
- New version of the classic puzzle using row/column/quadrant permutations to display symmetries of graphic designs. Has link to a site on the underlying mathematics (Diamond Theory).
- Includes a introduction to Roman numerals including a translation of the digits used and a converter which can convert decimal to Roman numerals and vice versa.
Mudd Math Fun Facts
- An archive of interesting math facts for use in the classroom or just for fun. Browse by subject, difficulty, keywords, or try the "random" feature. Based at Harvey Mudd College.
- Includes a complete list of all possible Fair Dice, most of which are not cubes. Includes pictures.
Math Forum: Algebra Problem of the Week
- View this week's algebra problem or those of previous weeks.
Recreational Mathematics (David Eppstein)
- An extensive list of web resources for recreational math.
Famous Curves Index
- Curves you've heard of and curves you haven't, from Astroid to the Witch of Agnesi.
Table of Numbers Problem
- Given a m * n rectangle, place all numbers from 1 to mn that minimizes the sum of the products of rows and columns (both in Spanish and English).
- A page on polyiamond puzzles. Includes many pages on tessellation.
The Aesthetics of Symmetry
- A brief digression into how people perceive symmetrical patterns -- what makes them boring, interesting, or overly intricate
Math in the Movies
- A guide to major motion pictures with scenes of real mathematics.
Wade Edward Philpott
- Profile and description of his mathematical games and puzzles.
Geometric Packing Problems
- By Joseph Malkevitch: "Given one shape X how and when can one pack identical copies of this shape into another shape Y?"
- Individual pages on different topics in Mathematics. Examples : group theory, dynamical systems theory, geometry or number theory.
MAT 007 I News
- A newsletter edited by undergraduates of the Department of Mathematics at the University of Toronto. Includes some online copies.
- A collection of problems from MIT. Work reported herein was conducted at the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology research program.
David Singmaster: List of Available Material
- Teaching and recreational items in this personal collection.
- Rough index to the fifteen books containing Martin Gardner's Mathematical Games articles from Scientific American.
Recreational Mathematics Topics
- By Steven Dutch. Symmetry, Crystals, Polyhedra and Tilings; Pythagorean triplets and other things about sums of powers; Geometry Classics.
Mathematics in Art and Architecture
- An interdisciplinary course on mathematics in art and architecture.
Maze Classification and Algorithms
- A short description of mazes and how to create them. Definition of different mazetypes and their algorithms.
Skytopia - Super Magnet
- A colourful world built entirely using mathematical atoms and molecules. Pictures and animations demonstrate structures colliding and interacting. Animated GIF demonstrations.
Number Recreations by Shyam Sunder Gupta
- Features interesting facts about different numbers. Includes favorite related links.
- Includes puzzles, jokes, quotations, poetry, and FAQs.
- Include news, math tricks, methods, facts, trivia, mostly posted by users.
Math Magic By Computer
- Interactive java puzzles and activities in different mathematical topics.
Mathematical Problems - Problem Solving
- Mathematics Hots (Problems) by Bruno Kevius
- Home of Simon Singh: author, journalist and TV producer, specialising in science and mathematics. Cryptography is one of his specialties, and his site has a lot of educational and fun content about codes and codebreaking.
Mathematical Lego Sculptures
- Designed and built by Andrew Lipson. Images and LDraw files.
- Includes pages on magic squares and polyomino patterns and contains related java applets.
The Nine Digits Page
- Puzzles and problems connected with numbers using the digits 1-9.
Who Can Name the Bigger Number?
- An essay by Scott Aaronson on the quest for ever-bigger numbers, from exponentials to Busy Beavers.
On the Puzzles with Polyhedra and Numbers
- This is an article on a set of didactical games edited by the Portuguese Mathematical Society (SPM).
A Mathematician's Aesthetics
- In his classic A Mathematician's Apology, G. H. Hardy likened mathematics to poetry and painting. This site elaborates on Hardy's remark with quotations from Stevens, Klee, Fry, and Focillon. Links to related sites are given.
Stunning Friends with Math Magic
- A collection of card tricks, number guessing games, paper and glue magic, and other math exercises.
Fast Arithmetic Tips
- Three categories: defensive - know to check an answer, offensive - fast mental calculations, and math magic.
Eric's Scientific Book List: Recreational Mathematics
- Book list from Eric Weisstein including titles, authors, publishers, prices, page count and some have links to Amazon.com.
Recreational Mathematics Forum
- A forum for posting messages about math recreations. Hosted at Delphi.
- Have fun with geometric shapes, fractals, math games, art, humor, quotes, and important constants.
Back to Square One
- Includes description, solutions and other resources on this cube-like puzzle.
- A large collection of cryptarithms and alphametics, including cryptarithms from the journal Sphinx, a Primer on Cryptarithmetic, books, and links to other collections of alphametics on the Web.
- Visual animations of famous curves.
- Numerous facts including formulas, magic tricks, fallacies and recreations compiled by Dr. Gerard P. Michon.
The Sound of Mathematics
- Algorithmic music determined by mathematics and by the musical preferences of a human. General MIDI files.
How to Manually Find a Square Root
- Provides a method of finding a square root without the use of a calculator.
[ Submit ]
above to Add a New Site, Update a Site, or Remove a Site from this Category.
This directory is made available through a Creative Commons Attribution license from the