DMOZ Internet Directory
[ Submit ]
- Multics was the acronym for "Multiplexed Information and Computing Service" - a mainframe timesharing operating system begun in 1965 and used up until 2000. Although this was the immediate forerunner of the Unix operating system, it was also in many ways its antithesis.
Slashdot: The Last Multics System Decommissioned
- The announcement of the closure of the last Multics system and a brief discussion as the significance of the Operating System.
Risks Digest: The End of the Multics Era
- Article by Peter G. Neumann on the decommissioning of the last Multics system at the Canadian Department of National Defence in October 2000.
- A collection of applications written in PL/1, exec_com and other languages, plus papers and other documentation [ftp].
- The history and technical details of the DPS8 installation at the University of Mainz, Germany. Photo gallery of Multics hardware components.
Multics Home Page
- Information on Multics, much of it from the newsgroup alt.os.multics.
Multics Security Evaluation: Vulnerability Analysis
- The USAF's analysis into potential weaknesses and strengths of the Multics OS.
- Brief technical information on the DPS8 platform used to run the Multics OS, plus links.
- A humorous prayer well-known to veteran Multicians. Scanned PNG file.
Wikipedia - Multics
- A brief history and description of this operating system with links to further reading.
Multics Source Repository
- Complete Source for MR12.5 contributed by Bull HN and MIT.
Seattle Weekly: Multics and Mr. Rogers
- Marking the demise of the Multics OS and drawing parallels with the PBS show "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood."
Dps8m: A simulator for the Multics dps-8/m mainframe
- Project to create a simulator for the Honeywell DPS8-M mainframe which will run Mulrics.
[ Submit ]
above to Add a New Site, Update a Site, or Remove a Site from this Category.
This directory is made available through a Creative Commons Attribution license from the