DMOZ Internet Directory
Artists and Projects
This category is for the net.art projects and pages of individual artists or collaboratives.
[ Submit ]
- The Thirteen year-old Mouchette gives users an opportunity on each page to share their impressions of the site. Recent projects include "Suicide Kit" and "Flesh&Blood."
- Online collaborative of San Francisco based artists experimenting in digital design and technological diversions.
- Displays a growing collection of experimental fine art made specifically for the web.
Napier, Mark: Potatoland.org
- Includes the Shredder, Digital Landfill, Riot, Pulse, and cBots.
- Information about the artist and links to his digital art (net art) works.
- The Detritus Sound Consensus Bakery netcasts an algorithmically generated sound collage.
Goldberg, Ken: Ouija 2000
- Commissioned by the art museum at UoC, Berkeley. Equates occult mysticism with the web, illustrating the mystification of new technologies and an uncritical reliance on the Internet as a source of information.
Deck, Andy: Artcontext
- A hybrid of telecommunication, drawing, and conceptual art. Within the projects of Artcontext people can behave creatively and collaboratively, communicating and at the same time, substantially modifying and revising what will be the experience of the site for future participants.
- Black and white Shockwave projects allowing the visitor to create images as well as view previous images.
Bunting, Heath: Irational.org
- 'Irationalists' create work that pushes the boundaries between the corporate realms of business, art and engineering.
Dextro and Lia: Turux
- Experiments using Director.
- Net.art pranksters and hacktivists. Hosts Art.Teleportacia by Olia Lialina, and remixes of other sites.
- Contemporary digital images with a bent to a bizarre and peculiar reality, performance and motion.
Mark Amerika: Phon:E:Me
- State-of-the-art web project, sponsored by the Walker Art Center and the Australia Council for the Arts.
- Net and media art projects.
- Experimental web interfaces using Java. Collaborative drawings, search engines, games and puzzles that run in your Java-enabled browser.
- Includes projects Rhiz-o-mat, Anomie, aesthetic transfixion.
This is friendchip
- Interactive sound machines, self generating animations, sites for kraftwerk, scanner, and 13amp.
Baldwin, Lew: Redsmoke
- Redsmoke was launched in 1995 as a vehicle for a fictitious rock band. Includes Platters, an episodic story about a man who finds evidence of a programmed human worker.
Simon, John F.: Every Icon
- Generates every possible combination of black-and-white squares in a grid of 32 x 32 beginning with all white squares and ending with all black. On an average computer, it would take several hundred trillion years for the process to conclude.
- Formed in 1996 by Kensuke Sembo and Yae Akaiwa.
Benjamin, Ben: Superbad
- The net.art output of a San Francisco based graphic designer using DHTML.
Sobell, Nina and Hartzell, Emily: ParkBench
- Performance net.art, experimenting with the Web to discover its potential for creative, collaborative expression, and to explore and sculpt the boundaries between physical space and cyberspace.
- Minimalist interactive net experiments.
- Live performances in real time and later exhibiting extracts from these performances in what founder Jeff Gompertz describes as a series of 'multimedia tableaux vivants.'
Weintraub, Annette: Sampling Broadway
- Virtual tour of downtown Manhattan. Compares the city to media space by contrasting images of Broadway with animations, text, narration, and sounds of the street.
- Contains several interactive pieces, including a simulated webcam and chatroom, and an anonymous voice synthesis announcement system.
- Art projects including "a polyphonic chronicle", an imaginary journey, started in 1993, within the fields of music and visual arts.
- Experimental project showing the viewer the society in the eyes of the editor.
Harvey, Auriea and Samyn, Michael: Entropy8Zuper!
- Immersive net.art using Flash and Java.
O-O, Institutio Media
- An experimental attempt to transfer an institution into the Internet and study its functioning in the Web.
A Virtual Memorial
- Memorial project created by Agricola de Cologne within his NewMedia art project network.
- Distributed web based artwork exploring issues of surveillance, tracking and covert activity on the web in an interactive website based on the conventions of computer games.
Sounds and Colors
- Intended to become a worldwide sound/color collage. Provides an array of sounds, colors and letters to be associated in pairs or triples.
- Migratory web poetics of Fung Lin Hall.
Liu See-le, Victor: The Slow Arrow of Beauty
- Java applet which scours the Internet for related textual content, and presents the information in several simultaneous cascades.
- German online art experience.
- Random playground with mysterious/abstract interactions that create beautiful "accidents" and collisions.
- Where digital dreams come true.
- Participatory examination of the American criminal justice system that uses first-person stories, interactive data, and discussion to take a critical look at who is in prison today and why.
- Images melt into each other like a slideshow. Click the # and other images move and morph, responding unpredictably to playful and mouseclicks. Sound, interaction.
s.EXE Interactives - Visual Sequencer
- Visual sequencer by Christina Goestl, Renée Mussai, Clitoressa and Friends. Individual interaction on web; documentation of installation exhibited at Ars Electronica 2001.
Berzowska, Joanna: Computational Expressionism
- A gallery of applets that allow the user to create images in tandem with the arist's algorithmical presets, and an "active essay" outlining the theory and giving embedded examples.
Institut für Telenautik
- The experimental broadcasting studio of Artschool Hamburg. Live streaming with the possibility of international contribution.
- Explore six membrane-spanning alpha-helical domains.
200ok & Linktanks
- Complex Shockwave art projects.
- Interactive art, audiovisual performance and other experimental projects by Golan Levin and collaborators.
- Open source experimental texture generation created with java.
Hunziker, Esther: Unfocus
- Quicktime and shockwave required for this X-Cult hosted project.
- Artist Glen Murphy documents his explorations in visual computation.
- Selection of internet art work by contemporary artist Lina Theodorou.
- Spoken word and video/flash poetry with an unusual edge.
- Fun and addictive flash artwork by artist Patrick Smith.
- A large body of work, ranging from flash experimentation to software art.
At Any Time
- An interesting net experience that will take you roughly 2 minutes to complete.
Lialina, Olia: My Boyfriend Came Back From The War
- By Russian net artist, critic and curator Olia Lialina.
- A growing collection of software experiments exploring the relation between text, space and time. By Ariel Malka.
- A collection of experiments and broken looking spasmodic animations.
The Central City
- Interactive labyrinth based on the organic and emergent patterns of cities. By Stanza.
- Animated pseudo-code, video and poetry in a self described metaphysical pit of the new millennium.
The Cities of Anacropolis
- Based on a concept of urban development and the principle "nothing is constant except change".
- A series of linked animations and interactive experiences.
Crowds and Power
- Crowds and Power uses mediated images to explore the relationship between space, memory, and territory. Windows containing image fragments emphasize the displacement of individuals and the transformation of urban space.
The Body Internet
- Interdisciplinary artist, Kenneth Hemmerick, offers a gallery dealing with information found on the Internet.
Loseby, Jessica : net.art Sketchbook
- Collected works of UK artist whose work centres around the cyber-domestic aesthetic, combining words, animations and sometimes sound. Flash and Shockwave.
The Plaintext Players
- An online performance group using text-based virtual worlds to pioneer a new improvisational art form.
- 'PrayStation', 2003.
The HypArt Project
- A single picture is created by several people. The image is divided into squares and each artist contributes one of them to the final picture.
Stromajer, Igor: Sprinkling Menstrual Navigator
- Navigational movie from the creator of the Intima Virtual Base.
- Net art and performance residue.
- Contemporary visual art projects.
Jevbratt, Lisa: 1to1
- Interfaces/visualizations which explore the formal qualities of the web in relation to the larger network of which it is part: the Internet.
- Central page for desktop artist.
- Digital fiction and art, including visual poetry, interactive video and non-linear fiction.
[ Submit ]
above to Add a New Site, Update a Site, or Remove a Site from this Category.
Arts : Visual Arts : ASCII Art
Arts : Visual Arts : Computer Graphics
Arts : Visual Arts : Computer Graphics
Multiple Media Artists
Arts : Visual Arts
This directory is made available through a Creative Commons Attribution license from the